WIPs Be Gone Week 46!

I checked the calendar and there are 53 weeks in 2015 because of when Jan 1st falls in 2016.  Only seven weeks left! Wow - where did the year go?  I've been finally getting down to quilting again and have actually worked on a WIP.  Here is #14:
This is a quilt nine years in the making. In fact I gave these 9 1/2" square to my then almost 4 year old grandson, William, and told him to lay them out in the order he wanted and he did. He even picked out the plaid to use as sashing.  This quilt was going to be for him.  Well, he's 13 now and not really interested in construction vehicles, so I'm giving it to his brother who turned five on Veteran's Day. The day before  Alan (the brother) came into the sewing room ( I thought he was watching Wild Kratts) and said, "I like this quilt. Can I have it?" So , I know he likes it.  I told him I'd have to check with the lady who wanted it made.  He's getting it Saturday at his party.  I just have to do the binding now, and that shouldn't take too long.  This has a Lightning McQueen and Mater flannel backing and flannel as batting.  I've learned a lot since I made this top so long ago - like it would have been better if I had used sashing blocks in the middle so the plaids wouldn't look so out of alignment, and better still if I had cut the side sashing on the lengthwise grain to match the crosswise cut pieces bordering the blocks.   I meandered around the vehicles
in the large blocks. Since I SITD all seams I then just quilted some FMQ in the border.  With two flannesl it's heavier than other quilts. I don't think the flannels will shift. I did prewash them.

I'm also quilting the baby quilt I showed you last week.  I'm using FMQ on that also.


What are you up to? Would love to see it, whether finished or WIP progress or an old post, or even about what is going on in your life - not necessarily quilty. Share your goodness. Linky below ends Monday, midnight.  I'm linking to Amanda's Finish it Up Friday, Sarah's Can I get a Whoop, Whoop?,  and Lizzie Lenard's FMQ Mavericks with this surely finished tomorrow WIP.

6 comments:

  1. It might have been a few years ago you started this but it has not dated and sure to be loved

    ReplyDelete
  2. A finish is always a celebration! Lovely quilting on the baby quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only a good finish you found the perfect little one to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure he will appreciate not just that you made it for him, but that his brother had a hand in it too. By the way, I love the WIPs Be Gone title and challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, yes. I've repurposed a few in my lifetime too. Cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Angie,

    That is so funny, starting a quilt for your grandson so long ago that it is now for his little brother. Of course he loved it at first sight, with all those big vehicles! He won't give a hoot about misaligned plaids.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

SAHRR Round 5 and 6

  Ready to show rounds 5 and 6. Actually, the prompt for 5 was make 4 of something. So I chose four patch, and actually since that made my q...