Fabric Tuesday/WIP Wednesday 5/16/12

Since it's an hour and a half before Wednesday, am combining posts.  I so admire Anita Grossman Soloman's make it easier theory of quilting - love the blocks she comes up with, that I thought I'd give a hand to my own.  So I pulled five different fabrics and played with designing a wonky house that has six cuts, six seams to make five houses. 
                                            Here's my first house:

Right away, I had some qualms about my fabric choices.  When I picked the white/blue fabric for the house, it looked way bright to me - but with this combo it seems to sort of blend together.  So I stitched around the edge of the house with a dark thread.  I still wasn't sure so I make a b/w copy.

With the black and white I see it could be better, but it will do for this experiment.  But check out how the ribbon in the wreath disappears in the b/w version.  That's what's neat about this method of checking value.  Any comments would be appreciated.  I'm lousy at color.

I'll see how the other four turn out.  Maybe I'll make a table runner out of these or placemats.
I'm linking to Fabric Tuesday, Linky Tuesday Party and WIP Wednesday.  You can find them on my sidebar.
What are you working on?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I"ll ever get the hang of color values! If it looks good to me I go with it. I think your houses are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute house block. I am slowly learning (mostly by trial and error) color value, but it's not an easy lesson for me. The B&W photo idea is a good one. I also sometimes use a red sheet of acetate (the "plastic" that comes on report covers...actually that's exactly what it is). That takes out most of the color and reduces things to shades of gray as you look through the red sheet. Still, sometimes I just go with it, even if "it" seems to be wrong. Have fun making the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute wonky house and isn't it amazing what a difference you can see in black and white! Thanks for sharing!
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...